Home»Latest News»Moatlhaping and GU yet to find common ground

Moatlhaping and GU yet to find common ground

0
Shares
Pinterest WhatsApp

The ongoing saga involving Gaborone United and their former striker Moemedi Moatlhaping is far from reaching a conclusion after both parties continued to give contrasting versions of their separation. Moatlhaping, who is seeking payments for what he perceived as unfair dismissal, forwarded his case to the Labour offices a month ago. The first hearing took place at the Block 8 Labour offices recently.

 
Both parties failed to reach an agreement during the hearing session and   will appear at the same venue on June 29. If the deadlock continues the matter will be referred to the  industrial court. The former Mochudi Centre Chiefs striker was released by GU in April ,  the club had released a statement  revealing  that their union with the player had reached an irreconcilable level.

 
This publication has established that the 2013 Mascom Top 8 champions gave Moatlhaping a month’s notice before parting ways with him. The club offered to pay him only a month’s salary but he demanded the club to pay him the remainder of his contract, which had 14 more months to run.

 
The striker reportedly earned P12 000 per month, thus had an  estimated P168 000 payment for the remaining months in his contract. GU were advised by the Labour Department to reach a compromising agreement with their former player  and  they  offered to  pay  a package equivalent to four months’ pay (P48 000) but the player remains adamant to hold out for his initial demands.
Reached for comment,  the club’s management refuted the player’s unfair dismissal claims, instead revealing that Moatlhaping was the one who suggested to opt out of his contract because of his damaged relations with the club.

 
“This was not a termination, it was the result of a mutual agreement between two parties who could not work together anymore.  Jomo approached us first and suggested that a separation would be the best solution. He stated that his reputation at the club had already been ruined and that  he could no longer see himself playing for GU again. We agreed because we felt the same way,”  said GU’s Herbert Letsebe , adding that ,”We  had another meeting to discuss his compensation package but he turned down our proposal. We wanted to give him a month’s salary but we later proposed to add three more months but we still could not reach a consensus. We think our offer is reasonable ”

 
A Moatlhaping backer, who preferred  anonymity, criticized the club for their actions towards the 28 -year -old striker. “GU terminated Moatlhaping at a time when they knew that he could not find another club. He was dismissed at a time when the season was nearing its conclusion and the transfer window was closed. How could they expect him to survive without pay, the package they offered him was not ideal to say the least,” said the advocate.

Previous post

All is well at LEA-Chairman

Next post

Lesolle and Matlapeng’s designs impress at FAFA