Mothathego on trial at Celtic
Gaborone United midfielder Jackie Mothathego is undergoing a trial at Premier Soccer League (PSL) club Bloemfontein Celtic. The playmaker went to South Africa last week Thursday to begin his audition for the PSL side; it has been revealed that Celtic provided an all expenses paid trip for the Zebras player.
This publication had previously reported that Celtic were monitoring the player and have since stepped up their interest by inviting the player for a two week trial. The club’s former coach, Clinton Larsen, was the first to show interest in the player when he scouted him last year.
Larsen was in attendance during the 2013 Mascom Top final between Moyagoleele and BDF XI and also attended Zebras’ 2014 World Cup Qualifier against Ethiopia. He was reportedly keeping tabs on the player during the two scouting trips.
GU’s officials told this reporter that Mothathego would have already joined Celtic if Larsen was still in charge because he had planned to sign him at some stage of the current season. Gazette Sport has learned that he even went to the extent of sending some members of his technical team on numerous scouting trips to run the rule over the Zebras youngster.
The coach left the club in the early stage of the current season. However, Celtic’s Chief Executive Officer Khumbulani Konco retained the club’s interest in the player despite the coach’s exit.
The CEO wrote a letter to GU inviting the former UF Santos midfielder to a two week trial. Mothathego will be given a chance to impress Siwelele’s technical team until January 17 when the trial ends.
“They have promised to keep us updated about his progress. If he impresses them they will not be allowed to discuss any personal terms with him without our consent. They have also promised be in regular contact with us if they want to negotiate a transfer. We hope the player will have a successful trial and fulfil his dream of playing abroad,” said GU’s secretary general, Herbert Letsebe.
Jackie is expected to participate in the club’s practice matches this week as they prepare for the second half of the PSL season.
Meanwhile the club has also confirmed the departure of Zambian striker Makundika Sakala, the lanky forward was offloaded last month. The club explained that the player no longer fitted in the coach’s plans; they are still awaiting a full technical team report explaining the player’s exit.
Following Sakala’s exit the Mascom Top 8 holders have been linked with a move for Ecco City Greens forward Tendai Nyumasi. Commenting on the transfer rumour, Letsebe said , “Nyumasi is a good player, every team would want to have a player of his ability but we have nothing to share about our transfer plans. We are aiming to strengthen our side because we are involved in three competitions and we need to have depth in our squad.”
The club also expects the full recovery of long term injury casualty Bakang Moeng before the end of the season.